We are cookin’ up some Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas today in the kitchen! This was a recipe my mom made for us when we were kids. This is my go-to recipe to bring to friend’s when they move into a new home or have a new baby. You can prepare it ahead of time and then they pop it in the oven for 20+ minutes and wah lah dinner is served! It’s SOO yummy!
Simple, easy ingredients and a HUGE crowd pleaser, even with the pickiest eaters. I usually make a simple green salad to go with it and Spanish rice or simple black beans.
BAKED CHICKEN & CHEESE ENCHILADAS
1 rotisserie chicken shredded
4oz, cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup of sour cream
2 cups of prepared salsa
2 cups of grated cheddar or Monterey jack
1/2 teaspoons of cumin
1/4 teaspoons of dried oregano
1/4 teaspoons cayenne
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
12 to14 soft round 6 to 8 inch flour of corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and sour cream.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup of salsa.
4. Stir in one cup of the grated cheese.
5. In a second bowl toss together chicken, cumin, cayenne, salt pepper and 1/2 of the scallions.
6. Add chicken mixture in with the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
7. In a baking dish spread a 1/2 cup of salsa over the bottom.
8. Place about 1/3 cup of the filling on a tortilla, roll it up and move it to the dish with the seam side down.
9. Repeat the process for the remaining tortillas, then pour the remaining salsa over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese to cover.
10. Enchiladas may be prepared up to this point 12 hours in advance.
11. Transfer to preheated oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
“Jennie’s Chicken Enchiladas were the perfect comfort food for the first night in our new home. Our kids loved it and so did mom and dad. Delicious flavors! Would absolutely have again!”
Please tag @calygirlstyld and #what’scookingwithcalygirl when you make yours!