Summer is in full swing which means picnics and backyard BBQs are probably filling up your social calendar!
Today I am sharing my favorite recipes to bring along to your next event. These recipes not only look amazing, they taste just as great! Plus they use the freshest, in season ingredients and they keep things light! Let me know in the comments which one you plan to try first!
FROSÉ (frozen Rosé)
– Mini seedless watermelon
– Agave (optional)
- Pour all but half a cup of Rosé into ice cube trays and freeze
2. Cut watermelon and strawberries into cubes and lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze.
3. Once frozen, place Rosé cubes, watermelon, strawberries, leftover Rosé, and agave (optional) into blender and blend.
4. Serve immediately, preferably poolside!
Recipe and photos courtesy of Cassie Gendron.
Strawberry Crunch Salad
– 2/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds
– 3 tablespoons sugar
– 10 ounces arugula greens
– 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered or chopped
– 1 avocado chopped
– 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
– 1/3 cup roasted salted pistachios, chopped
– 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
– 1/2 lemon, juiced
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
– 1 garlic clove, freshly grated
– pinch kosher salt and pepper
– 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place the almonds in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and cook, stirring often, until the sugar melts and is caramely, coating all of the almonds – about 6 to 8 minutes. Don’t take your eyes off of this as they can burn quickly! Transfer the almonds to a piece of parchment paper to let them cool. Break them into pieces if they are clumped.
- Toss the arugula with a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add in the strawberries, avocado, goat cheese, pistachios and sugared almonds. Drizzle on the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately!
- Combine vinegar, honey, lemon juice, dijon, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk together. Stream in the olive oil while constantly whisking until the dressing comes together. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
Recipe and photo courtesy of How Sweet Eats.
Greek Orzo Summer Salad (In a Mason Jar!)
– 2 cups cooked orzo pasta, rinsed, cooled and tossed with a bit of olive oil
– 4 tablespoons minced red onion
– 2 cups diced fresh spinach (no stems)
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into fourths
– 2/3 cup diced cucumber
– 1 cup feta cheese cut into small cubes
– 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
– Fresh dill
– 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 5 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine the orzo, red onion, spinach, tomato, cucumber, olives and some chopped fresh dill (to taste) in a large bowl and toss to combine
2. Make dressing by whisking together lemon juice, S&P, olive oil and honey
3. Pour over salad and mix
4. Gently stir in feta cheese
5. Good at room temp or refrigerate until needed
Recipe and photo courtesy of Cooking on the Front Burner.
Mason Jar Fruit Salad with Strawberry Mint Dressing
For the strawberry-mint dressing:
– 2 cups fresh strawberries
– 1/4 cup fresh mint
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the fruit salad:
– 2 cups chopped watermelon
– 2 cups chopped pineapple
– 1 cup chopped strawberries
– 1 mango, chopped
– 1 cup blueberries
– fresh mint, for garnish
Add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a food processor. Pulse until well blended. Divide dressing between four standard sized mason jars. Layer the fruit in the mason jars, starting with the watermelon on the bottom, pineapple, strawberries and mango in the middle and the blueberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired. To serve, pour contents of jar into a bowl and mix to combine. You can also seal jar and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Spoonful of Flavor.